Wednesday, February 3, 2010

When Singaporeans will queue and when they won't

I was at the Ikea at Alexandra Road, just doing some window shopping. As usual, I couldn't leave without eating some Ikea food. You know how the food is so unique, it's simply "Ikea food". One of a kind.

It was 8:45pm, on a Sunday night. What I saw, shocked me, beyond words. There were AT LEAST 30 people queuing for food. Why? And how is that possible. Shouldn't the 10th or 15th person think "Nah, I'll come back later"? How did the queue stretch to at least 30 people? And I swear, there wasn't any free food or a free Ikea sofa to be given away with every plate of six Swedish meatballs purchased.

Just so you know, I just stood there with my mouth open in disbelief. I left Ikea disappointed that night.

I had an epiphany this morning, as I was thinking about this experience. Singaporeans: They have no qualms, no issue AT ALL about queuing for food, toys, special closed door sales or simply to enter Louis Vuitton. But they will never EVER queue to get on the bus or to get on the subway.

It seems that Singaporeans understand the concept of queuing, but the act of queuing only extends to certain situations. Maybe we should start selling food on the subway to get people to form a line!

No comments:

Post a Comment