Saturday, December 26, 2009

The ugly & rude sales girls vs The nonchalant ones

You know what rrreally kills my shopping mood? Bad service and rude sales girls. I don't even know where to begin! Singapore's malls are plagued with rude sales girls. From the angry sighs when you ask them to bring you that 4th pair of shoes to try, to the rolling of eyes and the blatant bitching in chinese, right in front of you, ABOUT YOU, just for the most minute annoyance you might have caused them (they forget that their job is to not be annoyed in front of you).

And right now! A very recent, real life example: I was at a shoe shop at the Iluma today, and I had asked to try a size 38 for all the three pairs of shoes I was interested in. It turned out that the size was too small for me (although I always wear size 38) and when I turned one of the shoes over to check the size printed on the sole, it had a "7" printed on it. So, I told the sale girl nicely "This is a size 7, it's too small for me, I want to try a 38." Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought size 38 was size 8? That orange haired biatch, whose name started with a V, told me brusquely, "Sai terti aye is sai seven." So I apologized and told her to bring me the two pairs I liked most, out of the three I had in front of me, in a size 39. After trying them in size 39, I decided to buy them, so I walked over to the cashier to pay for them. She placed the shoes back in their boxes and put them on the cashier counter. Her colleague then asked her in chinese, "Whose shoes are these?" And the orange haired biatch replied loudly in Mandarin, right in front of me, "They're for (her chin
pointing in my direction) that crazy woman. That crazy woman who doesn't even know that size 38 is a size seven" WTH? I gave her a long, fiery stare. If only it was enough to set her orange hair on fire. It already looked like it was on fire, or was destroyed by a fire, so it wouldn't make a difference!

So, with that aside, my previous post was about pushy sales girls. Now I'd like to address the nonchalant, "Oh whatever" sales girls. You can find this rare type at Topshop. Service there is slow and the sales reps, basically, do not give a damn about you. Ask them to bring you something and they'll disappear, to only re-appear five minutes later. Ask them for something and they will agree to help you in a very nonchalant and unfriendly manner. Oooh, I get it. You work in Topshop. You're just too good to serve me. Or is your policy "We aim not to serve".

I once did a personal experiment, on how superficial sales girls are. I went shopping, dressed very casually, in ripped jeans and a plain spaghetti strap top and I wore flip flops. I then set out to Orchard to shop. I went to the smaller boutiques in Wisma Atria. The sales girls sized me up and were extremely unhelpful and unfriendly. To make the experiment right, I had to do the other extreme. So, the next time I went shopping, I was dressed to the nines. I went back to the same shops at Wisma Atria and you have no idea how much better the sales girls treated me.

RUDE OR NONCHALANT SALES GIRLS! Can't live with em, and I CAN live without em! If you're a sales girl reading this, hopefully, the next time you decide to "misbehave", think about how you'd feel if you were the customer. I'm sure you shop too?

The Shopping Biatch....OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment